I was reminded recently of the 'Declaration of Evolution' that Timothy Leary once wrote... all those years ago: has anything changed? Yes - the urgency.
So I re-visited it.. here's the beginning of The Declaration of Evolution - the rest is up to you to read:
"When in the course of organic evolution it becomes obvious that a mutational process is inevitably dissolving the physical and neurological bonds which connect the members of one generation to the past and inevitably directing them to assume among the species of Earth the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and Nature's God entitle them, a decent concern for the harmony of species requires that the causes of the mutation should be declared.
We hold these truths to be self evident:
* That all species are created different but equal;
* That they are endowed, each one, with certain inalienable rights;
* That among them are Freedom to Live, Freedom to Grow, and Freedom to pursue Happiness in their own style;
* That to protect these God-given rights, social structures naturally emerge, basing their authority on the principles of love of God and respect for all forms of life;
* That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of life, liberty, and harmony, it is the organic duty of the young members of that species to mutate, to drop out, to initiate a new social structure, laying its foundations on such principles and organizing its power in such form as seems likely to produce the safety, happiness, and harmony of all sentient beings. "