Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Possibilities of Progress

I have often remarked upon traits of technological progress. Well, humanity cannot separate from technology: fire was an early technology. Biological humans and our symbiotic relationship with the world around us is itself a technological relationship, whether with microchips or charcoal...

And now more developed forms of technology are accelerating this symbiotic marriage: whilst I may come across as a 'Technological Singularity-ist' I am perhaps more of a 'Spiritual Singularity-ist' - and the line that converges them is where I find the problematique of interest - the wisdom to steer our symbiotic humanity into evolved stages.

Author and thinker David Brin has a worthwhile essay on this subject called 'SINGULARITIES AND NIGHTMARES: EXTREMES OF OPTIMISM AND PESSIMISM ABOUT THE HUMAN FUTURE' which takes a balanced look at several positions concerning human progress and evolution, and addresses the scenarios and possibilities. Well-worth a browse...


Oh yeah, a few pics from recent travels are here

4 comments:

Owen Temby said...

Great post. Great photos too. I'm glad to see that you had an eventful vacation.

Oh yeah--ever notice that the friend of yours in the photos looks like Fish from Marillion? Just a thought...

Owen

Daniel said...

Ah, Kingsley, I find your thoughts interesting. Is there a possibility that, finding that religion is not the answer, you are seeking another way to find hope in order to avoid the reality of who and what we are?

Please do not take offence at my question. The post I just put up perhaps explains my pensive, rather black and white mood!

Cheers!

Kingsley said...

Hi Daniel!

Both suffering, death, and human evil are indeed a reality. How a person responds to these issues is also fundamental to how a person experiences their reality.

Despite the presence of barbarism I remain positive. Part of this is due to the nature of my own temperment. Another part is due to the fact that I am conscious about how I want to live my life, and I am unable to be an effective force for my immediate environment if I cannot maintain a 'controlled sanity' amidst this chaotic world!

I do not consider myself to be avoiding 'the reality of who we are' - rather, I am seeking to understand the varying elements that make 'us humans' and to know what to build upon, and what to leave out.

Fair question though!

Daniel said...

I prefer to embrace the concept of 'controlled insanity'. Cheers!